Tuesday 25 April 2017

Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my photography blog. My wildlife photography story begins in a small seaside town called Kaikoura in New Zealand. Throughout 2006 and 2007 I had the privelege of taking a small research boat out on the ocean to collect data for my masters project on the sperm whales that feed in the deep waters of the Kaikoura canyon. I became addicted to the marine life of Kaikoura, so after my research I stayed another 2 years to work as a whale watching guide. This is just a small selection of the first photographs I took as a budding wildlife photographer in Kaikoura. The following photos are all from 2006, my first field season and the year in which I encountered my first whales (starting with the sperm whale), orcas, dusky dolphins and a huge variety of oceanic birds. More photos from 2007 will follow shortly.

Wandering albatross (Diomedea exulans)


Sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) diving into the depths


Sperm whale replenishing its oxygen stores at the surface


Orca (Orcinus orca) passing close to the rocks where a New Zealand fur seal colony can be found


Two male sperm whales diving in synchrony - a rare and magical moment


Dusky dolphin (Lagenorynchus obscurus) - a very acrobatic species


Southern giant petrel (Macronectes giganteus)

No comments:

Post a Comment