Friday 22 May 2020

Blue whale rolling over like a puppy

Continuing with the amazing blue whale encounters that I had in 2012, this was was a very special one that I still remember well. It was an encounter with a particularly calm and curious blue whale, displaying some unusual behaviours that I had never seen before, or again since. The whale kept surfacing right alongside our rubber boat, which was about one third the length of the whale itself! The whale kept rolling over onto its side, raising one pectoral fin in the air and even bringing its eye out of the water. You can actually see the eye in some of the photos that I took. I wonder if this whale was looking back at us. This whale made me think of a puppy rolling over and it still puts a smile on my face today.






Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) pectoral fin



No comments:

Post a Comment