Thursday 29 June 2023

Life in South Africa

The next series of blog posts are all about life in South Africa - how to was to live in South Africa and the incredible lifeforms I encountered during my 3 months there. This thrilling chapter of my life was spent mostly out on the ocean where there is an abundance of marine life. But I also got to enjoy the African land on a day to day basis. I was living in Kleinbaai (translation: small bay) and guiding whale watching tours for Dyer Island Cruises. This company not only operates responsible whale watching tours, but they are also industry leaders in research and conservation. I feel so lucky for the time I spent with them.


This was my front yard. An incredible playground for sightseeing, nature photography and running


The bay we would launch from for whale watching - a fun ride getting past the wave action


The view from the boat. We often encountered whales and dolphins this close to shore


There was plenty of wildlife to be seen while walking the coastline...


such as this tree agama (the heads of the males turn blue during the breeding season)


and this stunning millipede


It was always a delight to visit the African penguins and the African Penguin & Seabird Sanctuary

No comments:

Post a Comment