Friday 23 July 2021

Island camping in the lagoons of Magdalena Bay

My main reason for visiting Mexico was to visit the Pacific coast lagoons that gray whales use as nursery grounds. I was extremely lucky to be able to join a 6-day whale camping trip to Magdalena Bay, which is one of the hot spots for the gray whales. I got my own tent on an island and every day I got to enjoy not only the whales, but also the other unique wildlife of the area. The ecosystem was very different to any other I had seen before. The mangroves hosted a range of interesting bird species, including the bright red-throated frigate birds. From a distance the island I camped on looked barren with it's wind-swept dunes. But on closer inspection it was covered in an array of colourful desert flowers. I will never forget waking up to the sound of whale blows just outside my tent and seeing bottlenose dolphins jumping just off the beach at sunset. 

Photos of the gray whales will be in my next blog post.



 








No comments:

Post a Comment